Tuesday, November 21, 2006

inevitable transition



Some lecturers believe this.

"Students represent the lecturer's greatest reward and heaviest burden. Some students can be both at the same time. There can be few more gratifying experiences than to instill a life-long love of learning into another human soul, or to hone a blunt, dull-edged mind into an analytical instrument of surgical precision. Most lecturers experience this once or twice in their careers. For the rest of the time, we take averagely bright individuals with modest critical faculties, and do what we can to turn them into averagely bright, but well-educated, individuals with some notion of independent thought"

"We all knew that students were incapable of mature judgement, and were as likely to rate a lecturer highly because he had an interesting haircut as by the quality of his teaching. So, clearly, students' opinions were irrelevant. "

"A lecturer's recognition by his students is irrelevant because students' opinions are held to be worthless. What matters is recognition by other lecturers. This means that status is tied to research activity above all else, as it is something that other lecturers can relate to. No lecturer increases his status by being a renowned teacher."

I believe that the biggest challenge for lecturers is not to forget how they felt like when they were students.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"We all knew that students were incapable of mature judgement, and were as likely to rate a lecturer highly because he had an interesting haircut as by the quality of his teaching. So, clearly, students' opinions were irrelevant. "

"A lecturer's recognition by his students is irrelevant because students' opinions are held to be worthless. What matters is recognition by other lecturers. This means that status is tied to research activity above all else, as it is something that other lecturers can relate to. No lecturer increases his status by being a renowned teacher."

Interesting theories there. Do lecturers really believe that?

I think a students opinion towards a lecture/lecturer is vital for a lecturer, as it helps them gain an insight on what students are thinking, and how they are feeling on certain subject matters and stuff.

I don't really know how to explain it, but I do think that. A students recognition and positive reaction can help boost even the less comfortable lecturers, thus giving them confidence and the assurance they need that the students are enjoying and listening to what is being said in lectures etc.

For example, I can now say to you that you are a brilliant lecturer, and I wouldn't be lying my small arse off. Surely that would boost your confidence in your lectures and you will now be happy, knowing that students like and enjoy your lectures.

Anyway, sorry about that haha. I just wondered from the last time I spoke to you, you mentioned a band called Isis I think it was, but I can't remember if that was correct. If so, where can I find information on this band, and a possible sampling of their music?

Thanks, and regards,

Wayne

Andrea said...

Hi there Wayne

the isis band has a website over here http://www.isistheband.com/Home.aspx

By the way, I have in my pocket one of the last tickets for the mastodon/tool gig in nottingham... who's laughing now?? :-)

about the lecturers: as you understand, I hated what this guy said in his description. It's silly and awful and sets a bad example. I truly believe that, as long as you remember how you felt as a student ("a number", "a small piece of crap overcommitted by too many assignments") you won't have that approach as a lecturer.

Anonymous said...

Indeed, a truly brilliant lecturer would understand and remember what it is like to be a student back in the day, which is why you are a good one! I'm not suprised that you hated that guy, he sounds like a bit of an plonker!

Awww man! I went to see Muse last week at Nottingham Arena, and noticed that there was a banner on the side of the arena that had the name of the best band ever:

"TOOL"

I was rather impressed, and contemplated buying tickets to see them! Unfortunatly none of my friends wanted to join me, so I shall be missing out.

Luckily for me I got to see them this year, in June when I went to the Download festival in Donnington. Truly marvellous!

I hope you enjoy Tool though, and Mastodon! I'm sure you will, as Tool are just brilliant hee hee. It is next Friday I believe? 1st of December when they play.. Is that correct?

Anyway, thank you very much for the link on this Isis band! I shall check them out now, and let you know what I think of them :-D

Hope all is well!