Tuesday, March 13, 2007

ongoing quest



Everyone with an uncommon name and/or surname knows this: when you're young, naive pupils make horrible jokes about assonances (i remember myself in the first grade making fun of a friend called maffiotto, of course associating it with the infamous southern italian respected families), and parents sometimes do not help in the choice (having a surname "Impalato", Empaled, the choice of "Crocifisso", Crucifixed, is not ideal: all true...)

I remember in the past being called many many different surnames, the best being Scialuppi, or the more updated Cappuccino, but I wasn't that pissed with my first name. That fitted quite ok, overall.

This before coming to the UK. Andrea is lately a joke to me: when i claim this as a male name, people giggle and look somewhere else; still it is one of the most common names in Italy!

Today I just found out that I'm not alone in this misunderstanding. Ordes of very italian, very masculine "Michele", stay put: your name here is meant to be for a Miss, a Mrs, or more gently a Ms.

5 comments:

Fabio said...

Beh ma anche Fabio... Qui conoscono il famoso modello biondone.

Israel Herraiz said...

I knew you were tall, kind of blond. When I first read your papers I imagined a very tall blond *girl*, with such a pretty name (Andrea), and such a musical surname. I was willing to meet you in person.

And look what I found instead. It was sooo disappointing.

Well, in spite of having a girl's name, you are still a very funny guy :-P

I have to admit that I am also in the club of "guys-with-a-weird-name". Being named Israel is pretty common in Spain, but I am tired of repeating "yes, Israel like the country" every time I am introduced to someone who is not Spanish ;-).

Andrea said...

Fabio:

i can predict that parents will name children after beautiful models, instead of saints, historic figures or such boring stuff... at least you can say: "yes my name is Fabio, like my beautiful top-model colleague"

Israel:

I thought THAT was your surname..! oh man, i'm so sorry for you...

Anonymous said...

beh che dire che ILIA in russia e da qche altra parte nel globo รจ un nome da maschio....
ma cmq.... TANTI AUGUUUURI ANDREEAAAA!

E x gli utenti british

today is my brother's birthday (the blogger himself...), make him may gifts!!!

letiziajaccheri said...

mi ha fatto schiantare cappuccino e scialuppi
non sai quando al poli uno studente chiamo' e voleva la professoressa Jacuzzi. ero io Letizia Jaccheri