Wednesday, June 21, 2006

be my driver




looking for the definition, the term "generalisation" (or its yankee counterpart, "generalization") is termed here as follows:


Noun 1. generalization - the process of formulating general concepts by abstracting common properties of instances


i love generalisations, like "all faculty meetings are boring", or "all socks stink after some running" or even "you are really a man, you always generalise" and the such. Generalisations ("gen" in the following) help cleaning your mind, and provide fewer things to carry with boring details. My previous tutor is a great generaliser, and I guess his ability in writing academic papers is his focus on simplicity and how to give the big picture quickly

Lately I found this article, that reports on some outspoken attack by a Sun (the eXtreme magaZine) journalist claiming he would shoot in the face bus drivers, because they are "little Hitler bastards". He claimed that bus drivers never let go cars first... But something else which happens quite a lot in London is that bus drivers never open the doors when they are any centimeters away from their stop, they shout at you if you don't sit properly, they shout at you if you are eating mentos on the bus, and in general, they shout at you. Bus drivers do not open the doors even if the passengers are waving correctly, in the correct position, with the right amount of waves and everything. They simply vroooom away. So, my generalisation is "London bus drivers are mad".

In the movie "Wings of Desire" by wenders, two angels speak about the nice things they see about humans, how many wonderful small and big actions men and women do along their days: so my counter-generalisation was this amazing London bus-driver (angel?) who picked me from the bus after waiting for me who came running, asking me if I was ok, where I was going, letting cars pass with a smile, waving at his colleagues on other buses, letting an old lady jump on the bus to cross a dangerous junction, and smiling, smiling like only africans can

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

another generalisation: wives are always right

Israel Herraiz said...

and so are mothers :-).

Andrea said...

third assioma of "safe relationships I" is women are a mystery, which i'm not sure you want to explore

Israel Herraiz said...

I like to explore misteries (and even more if they are women misteries) :-P.