Sunday, June 25, 2006

wrong sequence



Lukas Moodysson is a very brave director: he first created a number of devoted fans all around the world with three (fucking amal, Tillsammans ("Together"), and Lilya 4-Ever) beautifully crafted movies, and finally spat in the eyes of each single of them with his latest movie (Hål i mitt hjärta, Ett ("A Hole in My Heart"))

I saw an interview with the director, where he said that when you are in such a position to be able to speak to many people, you should say something important. Like in the Oscars' night, when you get a prize you shouldn't just stand and thank your mum, say something for real

"a hole in my heart" is a disturbing movie, i like to think that the director was so deeply impressed by a certain sequence of "lilya 4-ever", that he created a whole new movie digging in the hole that sequence created in his soul. It's a moral baptism, where all sins are washed away in the latest scenes. I was not impressed with the movie, but yesterday, due to the absence of ilaria, i made an experiment. I played first "a hole in my heart", and next "tillsammans", to see if that made more sense as a sequence. I found out that yes. The newest movie looks like conceived by a young anarchist, with all his dreams and hopes and confusion and anger shaped up in a nasty black hole, the only redemption being keeping your eyes wide open and watch. "Tillsammans" made me think of a director building around his peace of mind, rather than trying to cope with a psychosis.

And I wondered: how many directors or artists can claim a "reverse order" in the power of their works?
Also, playing that sequence, I really hoped that his ghosts did evanesce after opening up the hole in his heart

No comments: