Friday, June 02, 2006

think for yourself, question authority




Opinions are a damnation to me: it's always possible to find someone undermining your (my) hard-earned vistas on events and things. I used to love a music magazine in my youth, where opinions were straight and in black and white, no shadows of doubts there. "This record sucks" hey, I'll never buy it! "Look out, that movie is a masterpiece", cinemas here I come! Most of all I loved a movie reviewer speaking weird technical and philosophical terms about movies: i remember the review of "dancing in the dark" by von trier, and how it made me want to see the movie and feel the same hate for the director...

But then I realised: how many movies did I skip based on bad reviews? how many more books are there which could cause a sparkle in my mind, even if everybody agrees it's crap? why do I feel frustrated if I can't appreciate "Ulisses" by Joyce and everybody says "aahhhh wonderful" instead?

and there it came: the perfect fusion of theory, opinions, historical facts and fiction, that Da Vinci Code which is turning everybody in suspicious doubters on everything religious...
what if jesus was an UFO troll? maybe we would be adoring some fake icon since too many years... what if the daughter of jesus was connected with the millennium bug? or the high heels of berlusconi? I bet each one of us would like to be among the jesus and magdalena descendants to watch the world and think "ha! THAT is something to tell friends at the pub"

beside the "american catch" that the whole operation is having, I am amazed by how everyone wants to have _their_ view on the facts, maybe biased and incomplete, maybe extreme or naive. And I amazed that everything, _everything_, can be questioned

noone likes to be pushed opinions in the head and to realise it

No comments: